Thursday, July 4, 2013

Super Easy DIY Strapless Maxi Dress

One of the items on my 30 Before Thirty list is to sew (and wear) a dress for myself. I absolutely adore sewing, but I'm still pretty novice. I'm so happy to report that this dress is absolutely easy-peasy. It's literally a tube made of jersey with two hems and elastic ruching.




The process:

N.B. I used jersey for this project. You'll notice with any knit fabric it stretches more in one direction than the other. You want the stretchy side of the fabric to run horizontally across your body. That way the dress stretches over you and acts as an elastic. Jersey is also usually reversible so as long as the stretchy side is running across your body, you're good to go. There is no "right" or "wrong" side of the fabric

1. I measured myself across the chest, starting and stopping in the centre of my armpits. Since the fabric is a stretch jersey, I didn't leave too much of a seam allowance at the top. This dress is strapless and I didn't want to use elastic to keep it up, or to add too much bulk. Then I measured from my armpit to the floor and added 2 inches for seam allowance and to account for shrinking in the wash.  

2. Then I drew my pattern directly on my fabric. First I plotted out my "across the chest" measurement at the top of the fabric, then I plotted out the length of my dress. I drew a diagonal line to connect the top measurement to the bottom. Effectively my pattern looked like this (x2 one for the front of the dress, and one for the back):      
The line down the centre at the top is where the elastic is going to go for my ruched top. This line is only on the front.

3. Sew the back and the front pieces of the dress together by stitching the long sides of the dress. You will have a long, conical shaped tube when you're done. Since this is not the stretchy side of the fabric, you can use a plain old straight stitch on your machine. 

4. Try the dress on. Is it nice and snug? If yes, continue to Step 5, if not repeat Step 4, taking out some of the width as you make a bigger seam.

5. Once the dress fits nice and snug, fold the bottom hem of the dress under and topstitch it in place. Do the same with the top, obviously ensuring that your hem will not be visible from the outside of the dress. Since this is the stretchy side of the material, be sure to use a knit stitch. Your machine will have one for sure, just consult the manual. It will ensure lots of stretch in the fabric. If you just use a straight stitch it will snap.

6. Take your piece of elastic. I used about 4 inches, but if your bust is larger you may want to use more...conversely if it's smaller, you may want to use less. Line the elastic up with the top hem of your dress, right in the middle of the bust. Fold the dress in half to find where this is, if you're not sure.

7. Pin your elastic vertically (as in the picture of the pattern) and drop your presser foot. Drop the needle into the elastic carefully before you begin sewing. Once the needle has secured the elastic, pull it tight (ONLY the elastic, NOT the fabric). Keep that tension on the elastic as you sew it in place. The tighter you pull, the more ruching you'll have.

8. You're done sewing! Now to Ombré-fy. I used these instructions, by RIT. The effect wasn't quite as "Ombré" as I'd like, but I think if you use more than one package of dye and vary the amount of saturation as you prep the dye, that would be more effective.



^^Without the belt this is the perfect "buffet dinner" dress^^



^^With a belt. I worked with what I had...Brown would have been preferable.^^


Here's where I'm Linking Up:

20 comments :

  1. Well done! I never would have guessed this was hand-made. Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I know you say this is easy peasy but to me this is beyond impressive. The dress looks beautiful and you look great in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear it's so easy! I am a total spazz...if I can do it, anyone can. But thanks all the same! Happy 4th to you!

      Delete
  4. New fan from Fun Friday Blog Hop! http://www.jenstangledthreads.com
    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! That dress is beautiful! And that color suits you so well.
    beautyandthetravelbeat.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mom got all the sewing and crafty talent....I think I was picked up from the curb. All in her family sew and is crafty. Love the dress now make two more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pink and black together! You did a great job on it and it looks great on you! Thanks for coming back and sharing at All Things Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hopping over from Brag About It. Pinning this to my "to the Max" board. Hugs from your newest bloglovin follower

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at www.SugarBeeCrafts.com - you were featured today!! --Mandy, Sugar Bee Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing your project with Saturday Spotlight. It always amazes me when people can sew their own clothes, your dress looks beautiful.
    Have a great weekend and hope to see you again soon!

    April
    Angels Homestead

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really this is first class site. Thanks you for this post. strapless bh Een strapless moet natuurlijk goed zitten. Een strapless werkt alleen als het een onzichtbare bh, een zefklevende bh en een transparante bh in één is. strapless bh , Een strapless bh dient een hele avond mee te gaan en is het liefst nog hergebruikbaar ook. Gelukkig zijn deze strapless plak bh's te vinden op plakbh.nl waar een veelvoud aan plak bh's worden aangebode. A strapless bra should fit perfectly. A strapless bra only works if it is an invisible bra, an adhesive bra and a transparant bra all together. A strapless bra should stay on all night and if it is re-usable, its even better. Happily, the strapless bra's of plakbh.nl are very good and they have a big variety available.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It has very superior journal! I always accurately came here from http://klebebh.ch that thoughts to be great bendable knocker conveyance tapeline in the grouping and it's real profitable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Klebe BH | Brust-anhebenden Push-up Klebe BH wird von 3M hergestellt und eignet sich perfekt für trägerlose oder rückenfreie und strapless Kleidung
    Klebe-BH >

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please note that you may want to order 1 size up from what you wear. I ordered the XL for a size 13 wearer, and it was a little small, but thankfully, we are still able to use the dress.
    Tory Burch handbag

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a strapless dress can never look appealing without Bye Bra breast stickers, this shapes the breasts amazingly. Has she worn Bye Bra breast stickers for that lovely backless dress? I think this is the most fantastic article I’ve ever read. http://byebra.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isso é bom website.thank por este post um comentário. strapless plak beha is veilig, snel aan te brengen en vooral comfortabel. U zult merken dat u na een paar minuten vergeet dat u de plak beha aan heeft. Met de plak bh vormt u uw borsten makkelijk en snel, daardoor is een verschil in borst grootte makkelijk te corrigeren. http://plakbh.nl/shop/plak-bh/strapless

    ReplyDelete
  17. You can't really say what is beautiful about a place, but the image of the place will remain vividly with you.

    ReplyDelete