Friday, June 28, 2013

Lili's Birthday Series: Ombré Smash Cake



When I saw these sweet mini cakes on Jordan's blog, I knew they would be perfect for Lili's birthday "smash cake." I wanted to make them pink ombré to match the theme. They turned out so well and they look so adorable! I iced one and left the other two plain. Ultimately I think I prefer the look of the non-iced cakes. What do you think?








I baked these minis in three 28oz BPA-free tomato tins. I divided a boxed cake evenly between three bowls and used Wilton gel food colouring in varying amounts to get the ombré effect. then I baked each colour in a separate tin. When the cakes were baked and cooled, I carefully cut them into thirds (they were conveniently three inches high) and mixed and matched the colours. I basically followed Jordan's instructions to a "t" so if you want to know exactly how it's done see here. No sense reinventing the wheel, am I right?

Although I used a box cake for the practice run, I'll be using this recipe from Sweetapolita for her real smash cake. I'm not against cake from a box at all, but I think her first birthday calls for homemade. 

Linking up here:

The Shabby Nest
Rattlebridge Farm
My Romantic Home
Simply Sweet Home
Thirty Handmade Days
Simply Designing
Young and Crafty
Finding Fabulous
Serenity Now
The Best Blog Recipes
A Vision to Remember
Be Different, Act Normal
Six Sister's Stuff
Angel's Homestead

13 comments :

  1. This is so freakin cute!! I absolutely LOVE IT! She is going to have the cutest birthday!

    Kayla @ thealabamaangle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOOO cute! Love the idea of an ombre cake like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!! I like the non-iced ones better. Did she have cake before her 1st bday? I photograph several smash the cake sessions and have had babies hate, absolutely hate cake... but moms had never given them cake before. What was your experience? Had she eaten cake before? Did she like her bday cake? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L has had cake before, and she basically eats everything and anything with gusto (she's like her mama! Haha!)

      I wish you lived closer so you could do Lili's first bday pics. I'm debating getting a pro photographer in to take some for us...

      Delete
  4. Thanks for stopping in earlier today! I love this cake, looks yummy!! Following you via Bloglovin now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I am completely impressed by this - they look BEAUTIFUL! Awesome job A! Oh and also, my vote is the non iced ones as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute! And I love your photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the little cakes;) They are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute are these?

    Would like to invite you over to Who Needs a Cape to link up to Super Sunday! Hope to see you there http://whoneedsacape.com/2013/06/super-sunday-party-4/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking up to Super Sunday! Hope we see you next week!

    ReplyDelete