Thursday, June 13, 2013

A Manly (i.e. Meaty) Meal...

Father's day is nigh, friends. Here's what I'll be cooking up this weekend for my own Dad...and my husband of course. 


Via New York Serious Eats

I have been making these ribs for years. They are a labour of love, but if you find yourself some nice, meaty beef ribs, they are definitely worth it. The recipe comes from New York's renowned barbecue restaurant, Blue Smoke. You can substitute pork baby back ribs. They're more readily available.

Recipe adapted from Food and Wine


Ingredients:

4 tablespoons course-ground black pepper
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons course salt 
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 racks meaty beef (or pork) ribs

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350*
2. In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients except the beef ribs.
3. Rub the mixture all over the beef ribs. 
4. Place ribs meaty side up on a large baking sheet. **You may want to put another tray on the rack below to catch any drips. These ribs are fatty!**
5. Bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hrs or until meat easily pulls away from the bone.

**If you have a smoker, smoke these for 5 1/2 to 6 hours according to the manufacturer's instructions. I've also had good success using a smoker box on the gas grill set to about 200 degrees.**

I'll be serving these up with some creamy coleslaw. For dessert, I'll be grilling up some cinnamon dusted pineapple spears and these grilled s'mores using my homemade marshmallows.

What to drink? Beer is the obvious choice. This meal is quite fatty, and benefits from something a little bitter to cut all that fat. I recommend a nice, hoppy IPA. We love Muskoka Brewery's Mad Tom IPA and Spearhead's Hawaiian Pale Ale (a little hoppy, a LOT pineappley- yum!). If you prefer your suds a little less bitter, try Beau's Lug Tread or, my personal fave, Mill Street Organic. You'll find these Ontario craft brews at your local LCBO or online. 

I am so excited to celebrate my husband's first Father's Day! Needless to say, he's absolutely killing it as a dad, and he deserves some recognition.   






4 comments :

  1. O.M.G. M would DIE over these - maybe I will be nice and make them..... ;) If not Sunday, sometime soon - for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man these look yummy! I may try them this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alanna,
    Your Ribs look amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete