Thursday, November 29, 2012

Mini Stocking Advent Calendar


I'm basically in love with Advent calendars. I've been making semi-permanent iterations for the past several years...each one lovely in and of itself, but not quite "perfect." Then I found this version at Crate and Barrel. Obviously one hundred dollars for a few pieces of felt and some string is, if nothing else, a wee bit optimistic so I naturally decided to make my own. 


You will need:
*felt in coordinating colours (I used pinks and cream)
*embroidery floss or iron-on felt numbers
*sewing machine, pins etc
*twine

Step One:
Copy and paste the pattern into Microsoft Word or your preferred program. Re-size it to the desired size of your stockings.

Step Two:

Step Three:
Stitch numbers one to twenty four onto each of your stockings using a basic back stitch. If you don't know how to back stitch watch this video first. If you are using iron-on felt numbers, adhere them here according to manufacturer's instructions.


Step Four:
You can do this step by hand or by machine.

Step Five:

Step Six:
String them up and admire!

You could fill these with candy, little trinkets or my personal favourite: a little daily family activity to get you all in the spirit. For great family-friendly ideas check out Andrea's Quiet Fish blog.

No comments :

Post a Comment