Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Ultimate Roast Chicken!

I'm not gonna lie to you here, and I'm not gonna be humble. I make a damn good roast chicken. I've perfected this recipe by carefully layering techniques I've come across throughout my cooking experience, and trial and error. Lots and lots of error. This recipe is easy and quite adaptable. You can change the entire meal simply by varying the herbs. Tarragon, sage or rosemary would all work really well. I'm partial to a mix of thyme, rosemary and lemon when it comes to chicken, though. Classic. There is nothing like sitting down with the family on a chilly fall Sunday evening to a perfectly roasted chicken and root vegetable dinner. Pure comfort food.



Ingredients:
- one 3-4 lbs roasting chicken (preferably kosher, if you can find it)
- one medium lemon
- 2-3 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 or three sprigs of rosemary (leaves only)
- 2 each: intact sprigs of thyme and rosemary
- 1 tbsp olive oil 
- Salt and pepper

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Rinse chicken inside and out and pat dry with paper towel
- Remove the zest from the lemon and quarter it
- In a small bowl or ramekin  mix the zest, thyme and rosemary leaves and 1/2 tsp coarse salt and pepper.
- Starting at the cavity end of the chicken, slide an index finger under the skin gently prying it away from the flesh. Do this all over the chicken, keeping the skin intact.
- Under the skin, rub the zest, herb, salt and pepper mixture over as much of the meat as possible. 


- Brush the skin liberally with olive oil
- Generously sprinkle the bird with salt and pepper inside and out
- Stuff the cavity with the lemon quarters and whole sprigs of thyme and rosemary
- To roast, place the chicken on its side. Roast on one side for 25 minutes, then switch sides and roast for another 25 minutes. 



- Finish roasting breast side up until the a meat thermometer inserted into the thigh reads 170 degrees and the juices run clear (not pink). This method of roasting allows the fat to redistribute throughout the flesh during the cooking process. This results in a much juicier and more flavourful chicken. 
- Allow the chicken to rest for 15 minutes before carving and serving. If you want to know why this step is essential and not-optional, I suggest looking here.

I suggest serving this with a nicely peppered arugula salad with a mustard vinaigrette and some sweet roasted root vegetables. A mix of carrots, parsnips and potatoes is my personal favourite.


4 comments :

  1. This was just TOO delicious! I have a history of hating chicken, and let me tell you- I snuck even more during clean up after dinner. Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to be attempting this recipe this week! What was the side dish again? Some sort of root veg? Can't wait to tell you how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you believe I have never attempted to roast an entire chicken before? I've roasted parts, cut up, but I have never stuffed and done the whole thing the right way. I may have to put this on C's picks next week....I'm pretty sure M would die of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, no I can NOT believe it! Next week I'm thinking of doing a whole chicken on the BBQ. I bought a rotisserie spit last summer and have yet to use it...now if only it would warm up.

      Delete