Saturday, November 17, 2012

Crafting Your Way to Christmas: Cute, Plushy Owl Tutorial

via favim.com
This cute little plush owl is the first in my "Crafting Your Way to Christmas" series. I'll be featuring crafts I've done (that you can do too!) as well as free printables, recipes and ideas I've culled to get yourself into the Christmas spirit. I have tons of decorating and gift ideas in store, so check back often!

This project was inspired by this adorable owl caddy by Three Sprouts. We got it as a gift for Baby Dragon and I loved the simple, clean lines. I thought the design would be totally easy to turn into a plush toy...and I was right! Follow along and see how I did it.


You will need:
three coordinating pieces of quilting weight cotton
two pieces of felt (I used cream and brown)
basic sewing accouterments
fibre fill of your choice 



READ: From the first copy of the pattern cut all the pieces except for the wing. Cut the outer eye piece slightly larger than in the pattern (see picture below). From the second copy, draw and cut the wing as indicated in the diagram above. Cut the inner eye piece slightly larger and without the notch. It should just be a plain circle. This will be the second layer of the eye. Our version has a three layer eye, while the original only has a two-layer eye.


You should have all of the above pieces. Before you continue, make sure! 







This little guy will be waiting for baby girl under the Christmas tree on her first Christmas morning...I know she won't remember it, but I'm kinda excited!!

2 comments :

  1. This little owl is super cute!

    Found you on the bump! :)
    If you have a chance, come check out my blog:
    www.lifeasIknowitblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I checked out your blog as well, and what a sweet little family you have!

      Delete